Lessons From A Baby House Sparrow

BRONX, NY- Two days ago while I was on my way home I found a baby House Sparrow struggling to fly right in front of the New York Public Library. I looked up and noticed the nest was way too high for me to attempt to climb up. The bird hopped around for a few more minutes. I made a phone call to Mami and explained the situation.

“What do I do?” I asked.

“Bring it upstairs. Let’s see what we can do.”

I live across the street from the NYPL so my sister had come down with a shoe box and towel in her arms in a matter of minutes. The baby bird screeched as it saw me approach it with the box. After a slight struggle I brought it with me to the apartment.

Baby House Sparrow
Baby House Sparrow

Mami observed the little House Sparrow inside the shoe box. It was cowering in the corner very frightened. We discussed what to do to make the bird more comfortable. Abuelo Colo, Mami’s father, would rescue animals all the time in Puerto Rico. Mami remembered a few things he did with a bird once and sent my sister and I to collect some loose branches.

When we returned upstairs Mami had set up an empty butter tub. She arranged the branches in the tub and the bird made a leap for the branches.It snuggled within the leaves, happy to have something familiar. With some twine string we hung pieces of bread crumbs and a tiny plastic shot glass full of water. The House Sparrow preferred to eat some of the leaves instead.

In its temporary tree made by my mom
In its temporary tree made by my mom

To our joy the bird began to chirp after a few hours. I decided to try to return it to its home in the morning before going to work. The bird tucked its head under one of its wings and slept for the night in its temporary habitat.

The next morning I heard it chirping and checked to see how our house guest was doing. The House Sparrow was not in the branches. I searched all over the apartment for it until I finally found the little one underneath the entertainment stand that holds the television. The bird made me do a good amount of exercise before I finally got it and put it back in the shoe box. Mami kept an eye on the bird while I got ready. Twenty minutes later I leashed my dog, Shakira, grabbed the shoe box with the bird inside and made my way across the street, back to the place where I found our guest.

There were no signs of other birds when I arrived. The House Sparrow was chirping loudly in the shoe box. I opened it and placed it on the ground. Shakira nuzzled it gently with her nose. I am grateful she gets along with other animals. There was still no sign of another House Sparrow. The nest was deserted. My neighbor walked by and explained to me that the Sparrow is still too young to fly on its own and needs care. I covered the shoebox, walked Shakira, and returned home with the bird.

Mami was surprised to see me with the bird again. We got a mesh pop up hamper and a towel. We placed the towel at the base of the hamper, arranged the bucket of branches within it , and replaced the water “shot glass.” I got some dried grains of rice and put it in a dish. The grains and water were set at the base of the hamper. We then put our house guest in the hamper and put a white netted fabric at the opening of the hamper. The bird observed its new habitat and rested on the branches. I decided to go to work.

Pop up hamper cage made by mom
Pop up hamper cage made by mom

At work while the audio cassette tapes were recording, I did research on our guest. With Google’s help I was directed to the Wild Bird Fund website. There I read that the bird is in its fledgling stages and I was not suppose to bring it home. It was learning to fly and hunt for itself. I gave myself the ultimate face palm. I took this poor bird out of its natural course. The website suggested I take it back immediately and see if the mother returns for the fledgling. For information on what to do if you find a baby bird click here:


After work, I met up with Gilberto and went straight home. We were going to return it straight away, but there was a hawk right in my neighborhood and I did not want the little bird to be its next meal. So we waited until the hawk flew away.

Hawk in my neighborhood
Hawk in my neighborhood

At long last we were able to begin the little bird’s phase of returning home. I put it in the shoe box and made my way to the tree by the NYPL. I opened the box and said goodbye to it. Gilberto and I stepped away 15-20 feet so it can have some space. The little bird hopped out of the shoe box and called to its family. It was great seeing the little reunion.

I wish this story had a beautiful ending, but alas it does not. The baby bird was so excited to see its family it hopped into the street. A car ran over it. Life can play cruel tricks at times. I cried my eyes out. I felt like I had such a responsibility to save that little bird’s life and in the end it was all in vain. I at least have come to terms that I learned to leave a fledgling alone next time I see one and I did try my best. Taking care of a wild baby bird is not an easy task, and for me the ending was tragic. I do plan to visit the Wild Bird Fund within a few weeks to inform others of what to do in those scenarios.

Photos by: Rosa Elena Oliveras

Video by: Gilberto E. Burgos


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: